Did You Know?
The town of Piet Retief was founded by the ZAR ( Zuid- Afrikaansche Republiek) in 1882 on the farms Osloop and Geluk.
1271 m above sea level
1000 mm rainfall per annum
The mountain range borders KwaMandlangampisi- eMlongamvula
Long ago the Pongola River formed the natural border between the Swazi and the Zulu people.
By 1911 the Piet Retief station was ready for the first train to pass through. It had a loading platform, a cattle-kraal and a telegraph office. In 1911 nobody in Piet Retief possessed a car.
In 1962 the tar road was built towards the direction of Pongola. And in 1980 the road to Dirkiesdorp was tarred, and in 1983 the road to the Mahamba border post was tarred as well. Piet Retief could brag that all the connecting roads to neighbouring towns had been built.
Originally post was delivered biweekly by foot. Later, by 1911 the town’s communication took place exclusively via post coach. Mondays and Thursdays at 5 am the postal coach departed for Wakkerstroom to Piet Retief, and Tuesdays and Saturdays at 6 pm the coach arrived at Piet Retief. Great excitement arose as the coach blew its horn when it came riding into Piet Retief.
The town has been lying in an FM Zone since 1966, and after input of the town council as well as private individuals who financed a TV complimentary station, the Piet Retief people had availability to watch television after this.